tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 03 06:24:28 2005

Re: You had me at Qapla'

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh naHQun:
>
> > so apparantly they think {Qapla'} means hello...
> > at least it made me laugh
>
> qatlh DuHaghmoH? jIyajbe'. chaq juHlIjDaq qID
> vISovbe'bogh 'oH.
> 'ach vIyajbe'bej. qatlh HaghmoH <Qapla'Daq choghaj>?
> HIchuH!
>
> I don't get get it? Is there maybe an american joke
> in there?
>
> Quvar.

The line is a reference to the movie "Jerry MaGuire",
from 1996.  I never saw the movie, but apparently
Jerry, a failed sports agent, is trying to reconcile
with his wife.  He delivers a long apology to her
over the phone, starting out with "Hello". At the
end of the speech, she tells him to be quiet, that
she has forgiven him, and that the whole speech
was unnecessary because "You had me at 'hello'".
Very romantic.  It has since become a catch-phrase
meaning, I guess, that you have easily impressed
and/or won me over.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level