tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 18 08:44:52 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: puqnI'be' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS la':
>I wrote a short article about the implications of the Klingon kinship
>system in the middle of this year for submission to HolQeD. If anyone
>is interested, I can send them a copy.

To whet your appetites, QeS wrote back on 7/07/05:

   For those who are interested in that sort of thing, the Klingon
   system conforms closest to the type that anthropologists call
   the Sudanese system. This system assigns a distinct kinship term
   to every relative, particularly in one's own generation and the
   generation above. (For comparison, some other systems combine
   various types of relatives into one term: English uses the term
   "cousin" for Klingon {tey'loD}, {tey'be'}, {lorloD}, {lorbe'},
   {vIn} and {yur}; Hawaiian doesn't distinguish between "father"
   and "uncle".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons