tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 11:28:54 2005

Re: {chen} in canon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > *{mojmoH} has never been used, so let's look at the canon for some
> > clues.  {chen} "take form, take shape" has never been used by itself,

Quvar:
>I think there is canon from the counting rules:
>   {wa' boq cha'; chen wej}
>Or is this not canon? I don't remember which HolQeD that was...

You're absolutely right.  I hadn't updated my notes on {chen} for some
reason.  Here's the summary of the HolQeD 9.3 article on simple arithmetic
I have:

   {chen} and {boq} are used in math where the subject is the result
   of the formula statement (typically using some form of the verb
   {boq}). The {chen} statement follows the {boq} statement with a
   semicolon dividing them in Okrand's notation:
      4 + 3 = 7
      wej boq loS; chen Soch
      "four allies with three; seven forms".
   It is also possible to reverse the two numbers being added: e.g.
   {loS boq wej; chen Soch}.  Another example:
      2 + 1 = 3
      wa' boq cha'; chen wej
      "two allies with one, three forms."
   N.B. not *{luboq} with the prefix {lu-} since "in these mathematical
   constructions, the numbers, even those higher than one, are considered
   singular from a grammatical point of view."
      4 ? 3 = 1
      loS boqha' wej; chen wa'
      "three dissociates from four, one forms".
   "When subtracting, the subject and object cannot be reversed without
   changing the equation. {wej boqHa' loS} would be '3 - 4' and the answer
   would be a negative number..."
      2 x 3 = 6
      cha'logh boq'egh wej; chen jav
      "twice, three allies with itself, six forms"
   The multiplier and multiplicand may be reversed:
      3 x 2
      wejlogh boq'egh cha'
   In division the formula is:
      "three times, two allies with itself"
      6 ÷ 3 = 2
      wejlogh boqHa''egh jav; chen cha'
      "three times, six dissociates from itself, two forms"
   "Reversing the dividend and the divisor changes the equation.
   {javlogh boqHa''egh wej} would be 3 ÷ 6 and the answer would be a
    fraction."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons