tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 07:47:52 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: cho' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:

Stephen Carter wrote:
>How reasonable would it be to consider {mojmoH} a synonym of {chenmoH}?

"cause to become"?

*{mojmoH} has never been used, so let's look at the canon for some
clues.  {chen} "take form, take shape" has never been used by itself, but
{chenmoH} and {chenHa'moH} have:

   {chenmoH} "he/she makes, creates" could be translated "he/she
   causes to take shape" ({chen} "take form, take shape"), but
   this is an awkward English phrase. (TKD 38)

   tIjwI'ghom vIchenmoH
   I form a boarding party. TKD
   ["This sentence might also be translated I cause a boarding party to be
formed." (TKD 38)]

   wIchenmoHlaH
   We can create it. TKD

   yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu'
   this sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the Unforgettable. S8

   DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
   Set fire on the side when there is danger. PK

   vIchennISmoH
   I need to create it. (st.klingon 11/97)

   vIchenqa'moH
   I make [it] again. (st.klingon 2/23/98)

   tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
   1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World. KBoP

   chenHa'moHlaH
   It can destroy them ("It can cause them to undo their form"). TKD

{moj} "become" in canon:

   yaS vImojpu'
   I became an officer. TKD

   yaS DImojpu'
   We became officers. TKD

   DIHIvbe'ch[ugh] qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj
   Attack or be slaves in their world. ST6

   bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj, Hegh
   Klingons are born, live as warriors, then die. TKW

   wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj
   The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade. TKW

   yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
   pIqarD HoD
   Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard,
   who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

Note that the object of {chenmoH} is usually an thing - although note the
{tIjwI'ghom} example - but the object of {moj} is a person or an
office/title of a person.  My feeling is that *{mojmoH} would be closer to
"appoint" than a synonym for {chenmoH} "build, make, create, form".  E.g.

   jonpIn chu' mojmoH HoD
   The captain appointed a new engineering officer.

   yejquv DevwI' mojmoH cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD
   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who acting as Arbiter of Succession,
   appointed the leader of the High Council.

How this would work with a double object - i.e. with a name as well as a
title - is a bit tricky.  Look again how Okrand did it on SkyBox S25:

   yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' ... janluq pIqarD HoD
   Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard,
   who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

He broke it up into two clauses:  "Captain Jean-Luc Picard decided that
Gowron became the leader of the High Council" (literally:  "Gowron became
the leader of the High Council. Captain Jean-Luc Picard decided that.")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level