tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 07:18:38 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: Qo' (excl)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, November 4, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   Qo'
>Part of Speech: excl
>Definition:     no, I won't, I refuse, I disagree
>
>Additional Notes:
>TKD-A adds the meaning of "I disagree."

Much stronger than {ghobe'} "no".

This exclamation is clearly related to the verb suffix {-Qo'} "do not!
don't! won't!":

   The suffix {-be'} cannot be used with imperative verbs. For
   imperatives, the following suffix is required. This negative
   suffix is used in imperatives and to denote refusal.
    {yIja'Qo'}       "don't tell him/her!"
    {choja'Qo'chugh} "if you won't tell me, if you refuse to tell me"
    {HIHoHvIpQo'}    "don't be afraid to kill me!"
   Unlike {-be'}, the position of {-Qo'} does not change: it occurs
   last, unless followed by a Type 9 suffix. Nevertheless, it is
   considered a rover because it is the imperative counterpart to
   {-be'}.  (TKD p.47)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons