tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 22 21:06:40 2005

RE: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

chaq QInvam vIngeHpu'qu', 'ach Qagh De'wI'wIj, vaj vInIDqa'.

ghItlhpu' DloraH:

>qonwI''e', qonta' Ray Charles.
>"As for the composer, it was composed by Ray Charles."

Hm. While at first glance it sounded strange (the composer was composed by
Ray Charles?), once I realised that "it" didn't refer to {qonwI''e'}, it
made sense. I don't think I would have thought of doing it like that. (The
comma after {qonwI''e'} helps to parse it, too.) Thanks for the suggestion!

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je