tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 22 10:00:33 2005

RE: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

bob mcfaddin ([email protected])

DloraH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Daj mugh 'oHbe'. mughDaj 'oH tlhIngan Hol mu'tlhegh'e'. bom mu'mey mugh 'e'
> > nID, 'ach bom mu'vetlh qonpu' latlh nuv (Ray Charles'e' qonta').
>
> He tries to translate the words of a song, but the human (Ray
> Charles) recorded that additional word to the song.
>
> The second sentence seems to refer to a Klingon language
> "rope" which I think refers to this translation "thread"...
> an inventive use of the term...

mu'tlhegh - "sentence", listed in TKD.

Ah, so while not entirely thorough, I was nonetheless essentially correct...a word "string" is a sentence...
"The klingon sentence is..." and /mughDaj/ looks like he mistook /mugh/ to be a noun.

Again, it appears I am correct, a verb suffix attached to a noun...and an apparent error?

bom mu' - "lyrics", KGT p71.

/latlh/ is next to /nuv/, not /mu'/.
"... but another person composed those lyrics."

The part is the () is either:
"(He had composed Ray Charles)", or
"(As for Ray Charles, he had composed it)"
Because the focus of the discussion was about the lyrics and not really on Ray, I would have expected /qonta' Ray Charles/ "Ray
Charles had composed it"

I don't think so... we have two different meanings for qon, (record) and (compose). I think he used both in the same sentence...as in, "As for Ray Charles, he recorded it... but another Human composed the lyrics." It was initially confusing, but seems clear in retrospect..especially considering that Ray did in fact record this song which was written by someone else. That's an interesting thought..how to clarify sentences wherein multiple definitions of the same word are used...hmmm...

jajvam lururbogh jajmey'e' lutu'lu' muja'ta' SoSoywI'

juDmoS