tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 21 16:19:08 2005

RE: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ja' juDmoS:

>SoHvaD parmaqwIjmo' 'oy' tIqwIj (My heart aches due to my love for you)

jang DloraH:

>Noun1 with a type five suffix cannot be used to modify noun2.
>A noun with a type five suffix needs to modify a verb.

teHbej.

>/SoHvaD/ is modifying /'oy'/, not /parmaq/.

It's still possible to have two nouns with Type 5 suffixes at the start of a
sentence: {qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS} "in the galaxy, as
warriors go, you are the greatest of all" (STV). I don't see anything wrong
with the sentence meaning "my heart aches {for you} {because of my love}"
(without any semantic connection between the two Type 5 nouns), and in view
of juDmoS's most recent reply, I'd say that's what he was shooting for.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

leghbe'chugh tIq, leghbe'bej mIn
(If the heart does not look, the eye will not see)
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site.
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level