tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 11 18:41:41 2005

Re: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?

teresh000 ([email protected])

>From: DloraH <[email protected]>

>> vaj ...
>> -chugh ...

>I personally don't use /vaj/ and /-chugh/ together because to me a /vaj/ after
>/-chugh/ seems to be redundant.  To me, /-chugh/ has
>it almost built into its meaning.

>bIjeghbe'chugh bIHegh.  If you do not surrender you will die.
>bIjeghbe', vaj bIHegh.  You did not surrender, thus you will die.

>bIjeghbe'chugh, vaj bIHegh.  If you do not surrender, then/thus/so you will die.
>Sure, it's allowed, but it sounds weird to me.

Actually, in the form {bIje'be'chugh, vaj bIHegh}, it's not only allowed, it's
canon. I personally really like to use {vaj}, precisely because it sounds "weird". Real
languages do lots of things that seem odd to outsiders, and letting Klingon have those
kind of usages just increases its appeal for me.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level