tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 10 17:07:17 2005

Re: A whole 'nother kettle of fish...

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' DloraH:

>How is "then" being used here?
>It felt weird to me reading this with /vaj/.

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'. Well spotted, DloraH; this one slipped
past me. qatlho'.

>vaj - "then, thus, so, in that case"
>ghIq - "then, subsequently"
>ngugh - "then, at that time"

>(To me) /vaj/ would work if the act of giving you their hand symbolized
>them
>"speaking" to you, as in body language.

I like the thought behind that: it's very poetic.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the translation is of the Ray Charles song "You
Don't Know Me"; the English is "You give your hand to me, and then you say
hello". So, I think {ghIq} "then, subsequently" would be best suited.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

leghbe'chugh tIq, leghbe'bej mIn
(If the heart does not look, the eye will not see)
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site.
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level