tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 15 14:08:18 2005

Re: {Hum} "be sticky"

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ngabwI':
>Ex {Hum} "to be sticky" probably comes from "humid", which is also
>idiomatically called "sticky". But I use the Klingon verb only for things
>like adhesives.

As do I.

>For the other English meaning, I would be more literal: {bIQ law' ngaS
>muD} "The atmosphere contains alot of water", (or sth like that.)

WRT extreme humidity, we have {yIQ} "be wet" and {jeD} "be thick, be dense,
be viscous" so one can say {yIQQu' muDvam} "this atmosphere is extremely
humid (wet)".  OTOH, using {ngaS} may be more correct idiomatically in
light of SkyBox S27:

   yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'. yInSIp voQSIp je ngaS muDDaj.
   Qo'noS is a class-M planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere. S27

We only have some canon for {jeD}:

   'IwwIj jeD law' 'IwlIj jeD puS
   My blood is thicker than yours
   [i.e. "I am much stronger than you."] PK

Note that being thick is a good thing -- i.e. the less like water, the better.

   in the First City and elsewhere, there is a special word, {qettlhup},
   for the sauce prepared by thickening {chanDoq} (marinade). In some
   regions, the word {qettlhup} is seldom used; {chanDoq jeD} (literally,
   "thick marinade") is used instead." (KGT 26)

   jeD; ghevI' rur
   thick as qagh sauce KGT

Though I'm sure {jeD} could be used metaphorically for an extremely thick,
foggy atmosphere, just like we say that the fog was "as thick as pea soup"
- hmm... a nice analogy to the KGT example:

   jeD yuQ muD; ghevI' rur.  matlhuHmeH Qatlhqu'.
   The planet's atmosphere was as "thick as qagh sauce".  It was
   extremely difficult for us to breathe.

>And I further agree with lay'tel, in that I believe this to be the act of
>taking something from a postion above oneself. It seems to fit nicely with
>{lel} "to take (sth) out". I've no evidence to back this up, but hey, what
>else is new? }}: )

An old question:  How is {lel} "get out, take out" different from {teq}
"remove"?  Unfortunately, we have canon for neither.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level