tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 27 03:32:45 2005

Re: Quick and easy question...

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ja'pu' juDmoS:
>I've come upon a need to refer to a ship's "sickbay"... the suite of rooms
>in
>which patients or wounded are treated. Being unable to find that particular
>word, I'm wondering whether to use the simplistic-but-essentially-correct
>compound noun construct Qelpa' or the canon-but-still-potentially-vague
>ropyaH.

Firstly, you should probably use {Qel pa'} "doctor's room". On the list we
try not to create new compound nouns like this - although this one is quite
sensible, other compound nouns may not be quite so easy to interpret. For
instance, I could interpret a non-canon word like *{Heghnob} ??"death gift"
as either a condolence gift given on the death of a loved one, or a birthday
parcel with explosives in it - two very different meanings, qar'a'? {{:)
Plus it makes it difficult for beginning learners to look such words up in
the dictionary.

Secondly, why do you think {ropyaH} "infirmary" might be too vague to use?
I'm not trying to shoot you down, I'm just wondering. The word was used in
ST6 with exactly the translation you're looking for: {ropyaH yIghuHmoH}
"alert sick bay!"

>Is there, perhaps on the BoP poster (which I don't have) an accepted term
>for
>this...one in common usage?

I think most people will agree with ghunchu'wI' on his suggestion of
{ropyaH}.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Have fun with your mobile! Ringtones, wallpapers, games and more.
http://fun.mobiledownloads.com.au/191191/index.wl

Back to archive top level