tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 22 12:40:45 2005

Re: Correct/canon usage of numbers

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > This last form is, in fact, heard in ST6 during Chang's opening statement
> > in Kirk's trial:
> >
> >   Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' ['entepray']
> >   "Enterprise fired on Kronos One..."
>
>But you are right, it's still the question how one explains it, as you
>quoted SuStel:
>
>   "Now,it could be considered just a [proper] name, but it may also
>    be possible that noun suffixes can go to the ordinal number."
>
>TKD "numbers are used as nouns"

"Used as nouns" (i.e. used in places you can use a noun) doesn't mean the
same as "behave as nouns" (i.e. able to take noun suffixes).  Here are some
examples of what I mean (note that none carry noun suffixes):

   maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'.
   If we're lucky, one will get angry. CK

{wa'} is being used as a subject noun.

   wa' yIHoH.
   Kill one of them. ST3

{wa'} is being used as an object noun.

   wa' ghaH tera'ngan'e'.
   One is a Terran. (ST5 notes)

{wa'} is being used as a predicate noun following a pronoun-as-verb.

FWIW, Okrand says the same thing ("used as nouns") about pronouns:

   Pronouns may be used as nouns, but only for emphasis or added
   clarity. (TKD 52)

   Okrand communicated privately with members of the KSRP that pronouns
   (being a subset of nouns) could indeed be used with stative verbs.
   Thus, {SoH po' law' jIH po' puS} is correct. (HQ 4.2:3)

Since pronouns are a subset of nouns - i.e. a specialized group of nouns -
they can carry the same suffixes as other nouns:

   SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem.
   I'll bring you dinner number three. CK

   chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH.
   [Maybe I'd like to buy something from you.] PK

   DaH jIHvaD yIngev!
   Sell it to me now! PK

   tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
   He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

   SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj!
   May the spirit of Kahless live within you! PK

   jIHDaq Sum raS.
   The table is near me. (HQ 12/1998)

   lujpu' jIH'e'.
   I, and only I, have failed. TKD

Whether this applies to numbers is still the question.  I don't have a copy
of TKD with me; does Okrand ever say that numbers "are nouns" or are "a
subset of nouns"?

>How would one translate "I wait because of the first guest"
>   {mebmo' wa'DIch jIloS}
>     or ?
>   {meb wa'DIchmo' jIloS}
>
>What about numbers without afixes?  "I wait because of guest number one"
>   {mebmo' wa' jIloS}
>     or ?
>   {meb wa'mo' jIloS}

Good questions.  We do have examples of (number) (noun+suffix) phrases:

   wa' Qu'vaD wa' DevwI' tu'lu'
   For one mission, there is one leader.

   wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap
   We succeed together in a greater whole. TKW

   ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'
   [A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was installed in one
experimental ship.] S33

Unfortunately, none of these numbers are being used as a tag or label (e.g.
{meb wa'} "guest number one").  Can anyone think of an example that might
settle this?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons