tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 22 09:49:02 2005

Re: Correct/canon usage of numbers

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

jaj Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:38:54 -0500 ghItlh Steven Boozer
<[email protected]>:

> This has been confirmed?

Hm, sorry, maybe I mixed this up. Perhabs this was not "officially
confirmed", I only remember what you quoted: qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH
tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'.   As it is from MO it's correct and canon.

> This last form is, in fact, heard in ST6 during Chang's opening statement
> in Kirk's trial:
>
> Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' ['entepray']
> "Enterprise fired on Kronos One..."

Well, isn't that a confirmation?

But you are right, it's still the question how one explains it, as you
quoted SuStel:
"Now,it could be considered just a [proper] name, but it may also be
possible that noun suffixes can go to the ordinal number."

TKD "numbers are used as nouns"

How would one translate "I wait because of the first guest"

{mebmo' wa'DIch jIloS}
  or ?
{meb wa'DIchmo' jIloS}

this is surely not a proper name.

What about numbers without afixes?
"I wait because of guest number one"

{mebmo' wa' jIloS}
  or ?
{meb wa'mo' jIloS}

interesting, I'd like to see someone proving me being wrong! }};-)

Quvar.

Back to archive top level