tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 16 03:28:19 2005

Re: Mr. Charles, wISuchqapu'

bob mcfaddin ([email protected])

QeS lagh <[email protected]> wrote:
ja'pu' juDmoS:

>Take these tears from my eyes and let me see
>Just a spark of the love that used to be
>If you love somebody new let me me find a new love too
>Take these chains from my heart and set me free

>jIHvaD bIghajbe'choHbogh parmaq 'ay''e'
>vIleghlaHmeH mInDu'wIj tInIjbe'choHmoH

I understand this to mean "In order that I am able to see a piece of the
love that you stopped having for me, cause my eyes to stop leaking!"

If that is true, then there are two errors here - which is not bad,
considering that this is a very long sentence for Klingon.

I noticed...but then, the original text was an extremely long sentence, too.."Take these tears from my eyes and let me see just a spark of the love that used to be..."

{parmaq 'ay''e'},
being the object of {bIghajbe'choHbogh} "which you stopped having", must
come before it, in normal OVS word order. Also, you need to change {bI-} to
{Da-} to agree with {parmaq 'ay''e'}. Sometimes a noun with {-'e'} can stand
as a header, but I don't think that the sentence calls for that.

So: {jIHvaD parmaq 'ay''e' Daghajbe'choHbogh} "a piece of the love which you
stopped having for me".

How about, to maintain the meter and the original meaning, we drop the -'e' suffix, and replace it with neH (only, merely, just)? And I like the suffestion from Voragh..'op vs 'ay'...

jIHvaD parmaq 'op neH Daghajbe'choHbogh

vIleghlaHmeH mInDu'wIj tInIjbe'choHmoH

bang chu''e' DaghajchoHchugh

vaj wa' vItu' je 'e' yIchaw'qu'

tIqwIjvo' mIrvam tIteq 'ej HItlhabmoH

. ;) Very good work, all up. Keep it up!

So, mebbe I'm getting better at this?

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Sell your car for $9 on carpoint.com.au
http://www.carpoint.com.au/sellyourcar

jajvam lururbogh jajmey'e' lutu'lu' muja'ta' SoSoywI'

juDmoS

Discover Yahoo!