tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 15 07:42:52 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: yuv (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, June 15, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   yuv
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     push
>Source: TKD (115 KE, 148 EK)

Never used in canon.

There are other verbs for special types of pushing:

   To finger the {may'ron} [accordion, concertina] - that is, to
   push the buttons - is to {Heng}  (KGT 76)

   The verb {bI'} ("sweep") refers to the action of pushing something
   out of the way by using an implement or the forearm as if it were a
   broom.  (KGT 113)

   During the course of a bout, both parties...alternately lunge ({jop}),
   that is, push the bat'leth toward the opponent, and deflect ({way'}),
   or use the bat'leth to push the oncoming one away. (KGT 115)

For ships and vehicles we have {vo'} "propel" and {ghoS} "thrust".

The only antonym I can think of - other than the obvious, and unattested,
*{yuvHa'} - is {luH} "yank" which can be used for "pull".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level