tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 31 17:16:36 2005

Re: new word #2

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ter'eS, ja':
>Do'Ha'qu'! mu' chu''e', {lev} lo'laHbe' law', Hoch
>lo'laHbe' puS. vuDvetlh 'oH vuDwIj'e'.

It's not so useless. The first thing that I was thinking was "Great! Now
when do we get a word for 'uvula'?" With {lev}, {wuS}, {jat}, {Ho'} and
{Hugh}, we can now describe some of the sounds of Klingon *in* Klingon:

/b/ lIngtaHvIS nuj, ghogh QoylaH vay', 'ej wuSDu' jojvo' jor SuSHom
/t/ lIngtaHvIS nuj, ghogh QoylaHbe' vay', 'ej lev tlhop Hot jat megh'an (or
perhaps {jat QIn}? I'm not sure which word for "end" would be best for
describing the tip of the tongue, since the tongue really has only one end,
so {megh'an} may not really be appropriate.)
/D/ lIngtaHvIS nuj, ghogh QoylaH vay' 'ej lev 'em Hot jat megh'an

As I said, we're still missing "uvula", so we can only describe /q/ or /Q/
by circumlocution. I'm not entirely happy with {lev 'em} and {lev tlhop},
either, because they imply "in front of the hard palate" and "behind the
hard palate" which isn't strictly correct ({lev 'em} would probably be
understood as "soft palate"); nevertheless, the presence of a word for "hard
palate" isn't a completely useless thing.

I am wondering, though: How does one shake one's hard palate all about? {{:P

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site.
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level