tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 24 21:39:29 2005

Re: time passes

QeS lagh ([email protected])

tlhob juDmoS:
>Exactly what canon information do we have as relates
>to Klingon time...that is to say, rough Klingon
>equivalents of a second, minute, hour, day
>(daylight), night, day(24 hr period), week, month,

These ones are easily dealt with:

second: lup
minute: tup
hour: rep
day (daylight): pem
night: ram
day (24-hour period): jaj
week: Hogh (but this is not equivalent to a Terran week; exactly how long a
Klingon week is is anyone's guess)
month: jar (see note on {Hogh})

>season,

There's no canon as far as I know. When I began translating some of "A
Midsummer Night's Dream", I translated "summer" as {tuj poH} "the time of
heat", but that's just me, and I expect other people have their own idioms
for the seasons.

One small fact that may or may not be relevant: There's no verb "to snow" in
Klingon, which leads one to suspect that winter on Qo'noS would be a fairly
mild affair. With that in mind, I'd imagine the seasonal divisions are
somewhat different for Klingons. In northern Australia, where I live, the
division between the four seasons doesn't have a whole lot of relevance,
because winter's not very cold at all - for all practical purposes, we have
two seasons: wet and dry. Maybe Klingon does something similar. Or maybe
not. {{:)

>year,

DIS

>What do we know about the names of the Klingon
>seasons (if any)? names of the Klingon months, if
>any?

Neither of these has been explained in canon AFAIK.

>Any help from any canon source (or non-canon, for
>that matter) is appreciated...

You may or may not already know: perhaps the most useful tool you may ever
learn for describing the passing of time is {qaStaHvIS X} "while X happens",
which is extremely common on the list (and off) for "during X". {qaStaHvIS
Hoghvam, tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH} "(during) this week, I am learning Klingon"
(although {Hoghvam} alone, as a time stamp, is also OK here); {qaStaHvIS
Soch DIS, ra'wI' jIH} "I have been the commander for seven years". Not
entirely sure whether this is canon, but it's certainly widespread even if
it isn't.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site.
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level