tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 19 17:56:12 2005

Re: bIQ'a' wIghoSchugh...

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ja' lay'tel SIvten:
>...I wanted to say "The body becomes in the water", meaning that it wasn't
>in the water before, >but then it is.

jang ghunchu'wI':
>That sounds like a job for a Type 2 verb suffix.

{Segh wej} bIja' chaq 'e' DaHech.

ja'taH lay'SIv:
>But using {moj} doesn't seem to be a good way to say that.

I think you're right; I'd say that {moj} would almost invariably require an
object.

jang ghunchu'wI':
>{moj} is for objects which undergo a change of status or identity.   For a
>simple change in location, {'oHchoH} works.

jIQochbe'chu'. Remember that {'oH} works not only as a copula, but as a
"verb" of location. {bIghHa'Daq ghaHtaH qama''e'} "the prisoner is in the
jail". {moj}, on the other hand, is copular.

That being said, if {'oHchoH} were being used in the copular sense, I
wouldn't have a problem with exchanging it for {moj}: {voDleH ghaHchoH
cheng'e'} is roughly the same as {voDleH moj cheng}.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je