tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 18 08:20:13 2005

Re: bIQ'a' wIghoSchugh...

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lay'tel SIvten wrote:

>   bIQ'a' wIghoSchugh bIQDaq pum porgh.

If we go to the sea, a/the body falls in(to) the water.

>   HuD wIghoSchugh yotlhDaq pum porgh.

If we go the mountain, a/the body falls in(to) the field.

>   wa' Doch neH vIneH.  ta'vaD jIHegh vIneH.

I only want one thing.  I want to die for the Emperor.

>   not vIleghqa'.

I'll never see him/it again.

>mu'tlheghmeyvam Sov'a' vay'?  mughmeH mu'mey nIv Sov'a' vay'?

It's grammatical, but I don't understand it.  Is this a song?

>*bIQDaq moj porgh* jIjatlhchugh lulaj'a' Hoch?  pab'a' mu'tlhegh?

   ?"The body becomes in the water"

ghobe', vIlajbe' jIH.  {moj} "become" in canon:

   yaS vImojpu'
   I became an officer. TKD

   yaS DImojpu'
   We became officers. TKD

   DIHIvbe'ch[ugh] qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj.
   Attack or be slaves in their world. ST6
   ["If we don't attack them, we will become slaves in their world"]

   bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj, Hegh
   Klingons are born, live as warriors, then die. TKW
   ["... (they) become warriors"]

   wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD;  jajvetlh loD nen moj
   The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade. TKW
   ["... on that day, he becomes an adult/grown-up man"]

   yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD
HoD
   Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who
   was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25
   ["Gowron will become leader of the High Council"]

The object of {moj} always seems to be a simple noun or noun phrase, not a
place stamp (i.e. noun + locative suffix).  Thus your sentence would be
understood as:

   "In the water, the body becomes (it/him/her)."

Which is grammatical, but doesn't make any sense.  (Yes, nonsense can be
grammatical!)  What were you trying to say?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level