tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 29 09:50:38 2005

Re: Pronounciation of " HIDjolev "

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Newton" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: Pronounciation of " HIDjolev "

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:44:11 -0600, Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> I would divide it as {HID-jo-lev} as a syllable may end in a vowel, but
>> it
>> may never begin with one (except for the suffix {-oy}).
>
> I thought {SoSoy} would be syllabified {So.Soy}... are you saying that
> not only does {-oy} start with a vowel, it remains a separate syllable
> and doesn't "steal" the previous consonant? That is, the word is
> pronounced {SoS.oy}?
> --
> Philip Newton <[email protected]>
> HovpoH 3413.85

I, *personally*, have a tendency to pronounce it So-Soy (force of habit with
CVCVC groupings), and AFAIK, the only use of this suffix in spoken canon is
from STVI, when Azetbur says {vavoy}. ( It's in the scene where all the
Klingons and the Enterprise crew are seated for a nice meal and some Romulan
Ale.) In this scene, I hear {va-voy}, as a normal CVCVC, but that may be my
brain forcing what I actually hear to conform with what I *think* I *should*
hear.

I would be very much interested to know if others hear the same thing, and
if they don't, to find out what they hear.

--ngabwI'
jatlh Huch, 'ach bom yuch!
"Money talks, but chocolate sings!"
HovpoH 702605.2