tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 28 07:44:20 2005

Re: Pronounciation of " HIDjolev "

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 08:38 AM Friday 1/28/2005, christoph.pichlmann  wrote:

>How would {HIDjolev} be pronounced?  The syllables aren't
>three-lettered, I thought klingon words are (almost) always
>divideable into three letter syllables?  I guess {HID}
>would be one syllable - then either {jol ev} or {jo lev}
>Which is it?

I would divide it as {HID-jo-lev} as a syllable may end in a vowel, but it
may never begin with one (except for the suffix {-oy}).  Cf. today's KWOTD
{po} "morning" for an example.

As for how it actually sounds, a pedantic or hyper-correct speaker might
take care to pronounce the letters distinctly, but I imagine that in
everyday rapid speech /D/ would merge into the /j/:  /HIj-jo-lev/ or
/HI-jo-lev/.  There's an example spoken by Marc Okrand in "Conversational
Klingon" during the restaurant scene:

   HIDjolev Dayaj'a', tera'ngan?
   Do you understand the menu, Terran? CK

--