tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 04 15:05:52 2005

Re: Bye All

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' chepqu':

>In putting this together, I thought on what uses would this language have
>and aside from writing small chunks of text in Star Trek movies/books or
>some klingon texts for fans, or talking with klingonists (almost zero
>chance
>where I live in, I find no use for the language. The vocabulary is
>too small and it does not contain many words we, humans, would use, which
>is understandable as it is a fictional language, but it is also
>discouraging.

This is true - I think all of us have grappled with that at one time or
another.

There are real-world uses for Klingon; but these uses are primarily
linguistic. It exposes you to a foreign language that's a lot simpler than
most others, which is a good starting point for learning other languages.
The small number of words forces you to think about how you're going to
phrase what you're going to say - when you're learning a foreign language,
it's often necessary to paraphrase, and Klingon makes you do this often.

The grammar uses some concepts foreign to English, also good practice for
language learning. The sounds of Klingon are also very foreign, and help in
the same way. I learn the Ubykh language in my spare time, which has a lot
of retroflex sounds; since I've started speaking Klingon, I've found that
pronouncing retroflexes in Ubykh has become much easier for me.

But if languages are not your bag, I can understand how you would find
Klingon a little limiting.

>I will be unsubscribing by tomorrow.

As you wish. Best of luck to you.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Now with over 60,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level