tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 28 09:57:51 2005

RE: Klingon WOTD: ruQ (verb)

d Armond Speers, Ph.D. ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> ngabwI':
> > > I thought this was {raQ}
>
> Holtej:
> >{raQ} is a "camp (military)".  {ruQ} is "control manually."
>
> Voragh:
> ngabwI' is right.

No, {raQ} is "manipulate by hand, handle"; {ruQ} is "control manually,
by hand."  Maybe these are different, maybe they're not, but since the
definitions are different, I list them both with separate entries.

TKD p. 105 (KE), 123 (EK): raQ (n) camp (military term)
TKD p. 106 (KE), 141 (EK): ruQ (v) control manually, by hand
KGT p. 226 (KE), 245, 249 (EK): raQ (v) manipulate by hand, handle

> This may be a typo, a look-up error or a mis-remembering by Okrand
for
> {ruQ} when he was writing KGT.  But since this is the form he's
described
> with examples, as opposed to just a brief listing in a glossary, I'm
> inclined to use {raQ} over {ruQ}.

Your inclination is fine, but my presentation of the entry was not
wrong.  The worst that can be said is that it was incomplete, failing
to note the similarity between the verbs {raQ} and {ruQ}.  This kind
of observation is exactly the reason we have KWOTD, to help identify
these kinds of issues!

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons