tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 28 09:04:52 2005

RE: Klingon WOTD: ruQ (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, February 28, 2005.
> >>
> >> Klingon word:   ruQ
> >> Part of Speech: verb
> >> Definition:     control manually, by hand
> >> Source: TKD (106 KE, 141 EK)

ngabwI':
> > I thought this was {raQ}

Holtej
>{raQ} is a "camp (military)".  {ruQ} is "control manually."

ngabwI' is right.  {raQ} "manipulate by hand, handle" is used in KGT (p.79):

   The closest to a general term in this realm may be the verb {raQ},
   which means "manipulate by hand, handle". It can be applied to
   carving, sculpting, metalworking, and the like but is really much
   less specific, referring to activities that involve having some
   control over some object. For example, in addition to saying {betleH
   yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth"), one could say {betleH raQ} ("He/
   she controls a bat'leth"). By extension, the term {raQ} is also used
   when referring to controlling a space vessel 'manually' (that is,
   when the controls are manipulated directly by a person rather than
   a computer):  {Duj raQ} ("He/she controls the ship manually").

This may be a typo, a look-up error or a mis-remembering by Okrand for
{ruQ} when he was writing KGT.  But since this is the form he's described
with examples, as opposed to just a brief listing in a glossary, I'm
inclined to use {raQ} over {ruQ}.

As for controlling a spacecraft, cf. also {'or}:

   Maltz thought that the best word for "operate (an aircraft)" was {'or}
   ... In general, {'or} would not be used to refer to the activities of
   the captain of a spacecraft, or even those of its helmsman, but Maltz
   said it could be used for the controlling of a shuttlecraft. He was
   comfortable translating {'or} as "pilot" (the verb)... (HQ 11.2)

The difference may be that {'or} includes using computerized controls,
while {raQ}/{ruQ} specifically excludes them.  Cf. also {SeH} "control":

    vISeHmeH Hoch nuHmey Qay!
   [Transfer] All weapons to my control. (Clipped) ST5

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level