tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 06:50:44 2005

Re: translation help

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:
>It's from Aramaic I believe.  (Aramaic was the colloquial language in the
>Jewish towns of 1st century Palestine.  Hebrew was still spoken in a few
>rural places, but even then it was largely reserved for the synagogue and
>yeshiva.)  IIRC *Yeshu'a* is the Aramaic form of Hebrew *Yehoshu'a*.

ngugh *Palestine*Daq *Aramaic* jatlhlu' 'e' vISov, 'ach *Hebrew* Hol pong
'oH *Jesus* pong'e' 'e' vIHar. jImujchu'. Sojvam'e' Doj SovlIj, Voragh;
*Hebrew* Hol DajatlhlaH'a'?

>or {yeSu'a'} or {yeSu'a} without a final apostrophe (cf. {tlha'a} Klaa}.

True; there's nothing limiting the existence of CV syllables in Klingon -
only their rarity makes people (like me!) seem to want to stick in
apostrophes.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Update your mobile with a hot polyphonic ringtone:
http://fun.mobiledownloads.com.au/191191/index.wl?page=191191polyphonicringtone

Back to archive top level