tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 02 15:30:42 2005

Re: Pronounciation of " Qapla' "

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>So I think {Qap-la'} is pronounced differently from {Qa-pla'}.

jang Quvar:
>I agree. And I guess terrans tend to misprounounce it because they are not
>used to have a pause between p and l. For instance, "deep lawyers" might
>sound like "deployers".

True. A good friend of mine is a hard-core Trekkie - but not a Klingonist -
and he pronounces it /k@-PLAA) (with the first vowel reduced to schwa, in
typical English fashion). English is far more tolerant of both open
syllables and consonant clusters.

taH:

>A klingon would say /Qa-pala/ or so, adding a vowel somewhere.
>{pla} is as difficult for a klingon as is {mwpa} for you.

HochvaD Qatlh {mwpa}... {{:) 'ej tlhIngan Hol'e' ghom /pl/ tu'lu'bej, vaj
Qatlhqu'be' 'e' vIHar. DIvI' Hol jatlhwI'pu'vaD, 'op *Africa* Hol pongmey
nungbogh ghom'e' /mp/ ngeD law' tlhIngan Hol /Q/ ngeD puS. nungbogh mu'
'er'InDaq /mp/ ghajbogh mu' motlh tu'be'lu' neH. (chen /mwpa/ 'e' luchaw'
pagh Holmey 'e' vIHar. chaw'be'bej je *Georgian* Hol'e'. :D)
{mwpa} is difficult for *everyone*. :)  And I think /pl/ would be easier for
a Klingon speaker than we imagine (although probably sounding unnatural): to
take an English analogy, the group /mp/ which begins some African names is
much easier for English speakers than, say, the Klingon /Q/. The only
difference is that we're not used to seeing /mp/ word-initially. I think
that's a fairer comparison. (I can't think of any language that might permit
/mwpa/. Not even Georgian will let that one in. :D)

Savan,

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Now with over 60,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level