tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 02 03:26:20 2005

Re: HolQeD chu' Hevlu''a'?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:
>Actually, I live Hyde Park

"I live Hyde Park"? mu'tlheghvetlh choHpu''a' tlhIngan Hol mu' {Dab}? {{:D

>which is considered part of the city proper and not strictly speaking a
>suburb.  Hmm... I wonder how the "area nouns" work with {Dab}:

>?Chicago qoD vIDab
>?Chicago qoDDaq vIDab
>?Chicago qoDDaq jIDab
>  "I live in(side) Chicago" (i.e. in the city proper, not on the outskirts)

IMO, 1 and 2 both grammatical (with 1 the most common and unmarked), and 3
probably incorrect. (As far as we know {Dab} ain't that kind of verb.)

>The first versions without {-Daq} are probably right.

maQochbe'. ghaytan {-Daq} lo'bogh mu'tlhegh HoSghaj tIn {-Daq} lo'be'bogh
mu'tlhegh HoSghaj mach. chaq {-Daq}vetlh'e' buSmoH {-Daq} ghajbogh mu':
{Chicago retlh vIDabbe', ChicagoDaq vIDab!}. motlh pIjHa' qaS {X-Daq Dab}
'e' vIHar.
Agreed. I've changed my position slightly - the sentence with {-Daq} is
likely marked for special emphasis, and not merely a less common version: "I
don't live next to Chicago, I live *in* Chicago!". In normal situations,
{X-Daq Dab} would probably not occur often at all.

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline

Back to archive top level