tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 31 14:29:46 2005

Re: Klingon at the Thanksgiving table - A month late...

voan ([email protected])

ja' ghunchu'wI':

> ja' voan:
>
> > My "knowledge" of the vocabulary is surprisingly small, so while I
> > have access to "all" of the words, I don't know from memory which
> > words are avaliable.
>
> The best way I know of to learn what is in the vocabulary is to copy
> it, a word at a time.  You might not remember many of the words, but
> you'll definitely remember that they exist, and you'll have a better
> idea about what to look up.

I've heard that suggested before. I guess that means it works, eh? :-P Thankfully, that's not
hard, just time-consuming. What else should I be spending my freetime on anyways?

> > Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions as to how I might go
> > about learning how to parse/construct the English equivilent of a
> > Klingon sentence?
>
> When I was at the stage of learning how to read Klingon sentences, I
> found it easier to leave the translated words and affixes in their
> original order, and apply Klingon grammar to the result.  It's mostly
> the grammar you need to internalize anyway.  Vocabulary is trivial
> enough that a computer can translate it, and you can pick it up as
> you go along.

Actually, I meant it the other way around, but rereading that sentence, I didn't say what I meant.
>.< But what you say is helpful. I have had trouble reading Klingon sometimes, and your advice is
sound. Thank you.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

voan

Just $16.99/mo. or less.