tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 28 15:32:18 2005

Re: {cha'naS} pun?

Stephen A. Carter ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:33:29 -0600, Steven Boozer wrote:
>Stephen Carter:
>>Is Okrand a fan of Jorge Luis Borges or Yemeni mythology?
>>Knowing the feeding habits of the bat-winged nasnas of Borneo might
>>provide a clue, if anyone can determine what they are -- I didn't
>>have much luck.
>>
>>http://www.hum.au.dk/romansk/borges/vakalo/zf/html/body_the_nasnas.html
>
>   "Among the monstrous creatures of the Temptation is the Nasnas,
>    which "has only one eye, one cheek, one hand, one leg, half a
>    torso and half a heart."
>
>This doesn't seem to fit the description of the {cha'naS} as "a small bird
>which digs up bugs to eat" (HQ 10.4).

Did you see this bit on the same page?

    "Another variety of Nasnas, having the wings of a bat, inhabits
     the island of Raij (perhaps Borneo) at the edge of the China
     seas.

That may be a better fit.  At least it has wings.

-- Stephen Carter
   [email protected]
   Nagoya, Japan

Back to archive top level