tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 07 07:23:57 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: namtun (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, December 7, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   namtun
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     beginning of a song
>
>Additional Notes:
>HolQeD 12:2, p. 7, "Maltz's Reward: Part I."  To begin to sing a song is
>to {lIH} (literally, "introduce") the song, and that portion of the song
>that comes at the beginning -- a portion that is often so familiar that
>listeners know what song it is after hearing just that short portion -- is
>the {namtun}.

More from that article:

"There is a difference between the end of the performance of a song or
opera or play, indicated by  making use of the verbs {van} and {ghang}, and
the ending, or final portion, of a song or opera or play itself.  For an
opera, play, story, speech, and so on, the final portion is its
{bertlham}  This word usually refers to the last aria or other musical
portion in an opera, last speech in a play, last sentence or so of a story
or an address.  The {bertlham} of a well-known work is often well-known
itself, as is its beginning ({bI'reS}).  For a song­-but only for a
song-­the final portion is its {'o'megh}.  Parallel to {bertlham},
{'o'megh} is the final phrase or so of the song, one that brings the song
to a definite conclusion."

Related nouns include song {bom} and opera {ghe'naQ}.

Related verbs include {bom} "sing" and {much} "present, perform (music)".

I'll let someone else point out the pun for {namtun}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level