tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 06 23:03:18 2005

Re: tuQ(Ha')moH

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ja'pu' lay'tel SIvten:
>   This homophony explains why the Klingon slang expression {qogh
>   tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take off one's belt" is used to mean
>   "to not hear", for example, {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken
>   off my belt; your secret is safe with me."  [HQ v2n4p17]
>I suggest that the verb in {qogh tuQmoHHa'} meaning "to take off one's
>belt" is also idiomatic and different from the standard {tuQHa'moH}
>"undress" of TKD.

Keeping in mind that {-moH} is also the most common suffix used out of place
by native Klingon speakers, usually for rhetorical effect, it may be used in
a non-idiomatic sense as well:

"A problem comes in because some of these forms (that is, some of these verb
+ suffix combinations) are so common, they seem to, in the minds of some
Klingons anyway, act as if they were simply verb and not verb + suffix at
all.  This seems to happen only when the suffix in question is {-moH}
'cause'.   Maltz reports having heard both {quv'eghmoH} 'he/she honors
him/herself', which follows the expected order (verb-Type 1-Type 4: {quv}
'be honored', {-'egh} 'oneself', {-moH} 'cause') as well as the weird
{quvmoH'egh} 'he/she honors him/herself', in which the Type 1 suffix {-'egh}
'oneself' follows the Type 4 suffix {-moH} 'cause', an impossible formation
unless the speaker is considering the verb to be {quvmoH} 'honor' and not
{quv} 'be honored'." (Okrand on MSN newsgroup, 30 Nov 1997)

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je