tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 04 04:40:54 2005

tuQ(Ha')moH

   This homophony explains why the Klingon slang expression {qogh
   tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take off one's belt" is used to mean
   "to not hear", for example, {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken
   off my belt; your secret is safe with me."  [HQ v2n4p17]

I suggest that the verb in {qogh tuQmoHHa'} meaning "to take off one's belt"
is also idiomatic and different from the standard {tuQHa'moH} "undress" of TKD.

Not only is the suffix {-Ha'} out of order, but the meaning it has in the
phrase is idiomatic.  If we assume that the meaning of the regularly formed
{tuQHa'moH} is also regular, i.e., "undress (someone)", then a literal paraphrase
of the idiom using a normal verb might be {qogh tuQbe'meH tuQbe''eghmoH}.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level