tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 18 15:03:29 2005

Re: Imperial?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun wrote:
> >Do we have a way to say "I.K.S." (imperial klingon ship),
> >I couldn't find a word for "imperial".

ngabwI':
>>You could do this as a genitive construction with the noun {wo'} "Empire"

Since Klingon doesn't have adjectives, a noun+noun phrase is the only way
to do it.  Cf. {romuluS HIq} "Romulan ale" (literally "the liquor of
Romulus").  We do this too in English -- e.g. "computer science", "space
research", etc.

Bryan S. Jones:
>>>In the MUSHes I play, we usually use {tlhIngan wo' Duj}

Okrand used it too in SkyBox S7, though he never abbreviated it to IKV:

   qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh'e'
   The Imperial Klingon Vessel Pagh is a K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey. (S7)

> >or "I.I." (imperial intelligence)?
>
>>Another, "stretchy" approach for I.I., is to do something like {chamwI'}
>>"Technician", and add {-wI'} to {lInDab}: {wo' lInDabwI'pu'} "Empire's
>>Espionage people", but to say that this isn't canon is putting rather
>>mildly. I believe you'd be understood, but linguistically, it's shaky.

Glen Proechel used *{Hungbeq} "security force(s)" for intelligence &
counter-espionage troops (cp. the Soviet KGB, which also had its own
divisions of ground troops).

Somebody (I don't remember who) used *{QI'De'} "(military) intelligence".

I myself once came up with *{ghoqmeH tum} "spy service, intelligence
agency" and *{ghoqHa'meH tum} "counter-intelligence agency" from the verb
{ghoq} "spy (on)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons