tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 14 04:13:52 2005

Re: poem translation (try)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

mughlu'pu':

>SoSlI' ghaH tera',

This is a consistent, but relatively minor error in your translation. Just
remember that in the pronoun-as-verb construct, the subject noun must take
the type 5 suffix {-'e'}: {SoSlI' ghaH tera''e'}.

>Du'uchtaH.

maj.

>vavlI' ghaH chal,

Again, you're missing {-'e'}: {vavlI' ghaH chal'e'}.

>DuQantaH.
>yIQong,
>yIQong.

maj.

>be'nI'lI' ghaH SIS gho,

{-'e'} is missing again. As well, just note that {SIS} is a verb "to rain",
not a noun. That being said, I'm not sure how I'd translate "rainbow". Maybe
you could do something with {-ghach}; or perhaps {SISbogh chal gho} "circle
of the sky that rains". But that opens up the whole new tin of worms about
whether {SIS} can take a subject... I'd argue that it could, but that's just
my opinion. {{:)

>DuparHa'taH.

maj.

>loDnI'lI'pu' chaH SuSmey,

It's that {-'e'} again. {{:)

>SoHvaD bomtaH.
>yIQong,
>yIQong.
>reH matay'taH
>reH matay'taH

All correct.

>'e' not teH
>taHHa'taHvIS poHvetlh.

Now, this is a messy concept to represent, even in the English. :) "There
never was a time when this was not so."

First off, adverbs precede objects: {not 'e'...} And it's the subject of
{teH} that is being true, not the object. Unfortunately, we can't just say
{teH 'e'}, because TKD (section 5.1) tells us that {'e'} can only be the
object of a verb.

If I were translating this, I'd recast that sentence, but even so I'd have
to change the sentence structure substantially: {not qaSbe' wanI'meyvam}
"these events never did not happen" (or {not taHbe' wanI'meyvam} "these
events never did not endure") is about as close as I can get. Maybe others
have some ideas?

The word {taHHa'} is legal, but I'm not sure what it would mean
("mis-endure"?). Remember that {-Ha'} doesn't just mean "not", but "to undo
an action, do wrongly" (TKD section 4.3): {yajHa'} "misunderstand",
{jotlhHa'} "put back up".

All in all, not bad. The only substantial error was in the translation of a
pretty tough sentence; don't get discouraged. Have another go, and let us
know how you do. maQaHmeH naDev maH. {{:)

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Update your mobile with a hot polyphonic ringtone:
http://fun.mobiledownloads.com.au/191191/index.wl?page=191191polyphonicringtone

Back to archive top level