tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 28 08:23:08 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: may'Duj (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, September 28, 2004.
>
>Klingon word:   may'Duj
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     battle cruiser

As used in canon:

   qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
   nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
   this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
   menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. (SP1)

   tlhIngan may'Duj, qItI'nga'
   Klingon Battle Cruiser, K'Tinga Class (S15, title)

   qIvo'rIt may'Duj mach
   smaller version of a K'vort class cruiser (KBoP)

   lupDujHomDaq may'Duj vIchegh
   I return to the battle cruiser on the shuttle. (st.k 7/99)

In TNG et al. we heard of attack cruisers, especially the Vor'Cha-class
attack cruiser.

   The word {mang} is used when the warrior under discussion is described
   in terms of his membership in a fighting unit (for example, as a crew
   member on an attack cruiser).  (KGT 50)

IIRC attack cruisers were larger than TOS-era battle cruisers, so I don't
know whether Klingons would consider the Vor'Cha - or the Enterprise-D,
which was larger than its TOS predecessor - a {may'Duj tIn}.  Cf. {may'Duj
mach} on the BOP Poster.

Cf. {DIvI'may'Duj} "Federation battle cruiser", {qughDuj} "cruiser" and
{HIvDuj} "attack fighter".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons