tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 23 14:15:36 2004

Re: Gray area

Aryeh ben Naphtali ([email protected])

Thanks to everybody who replied. Here are a few explanations:

From: Lieven L. Litaer <[email protected]>:

> > he has gleaned the entire structure of the language along with the
> > vocabulary from *HAMLET*.
>
> Gee! - How he do that? Must be smart guy!

He is. He is my former colleague from the Oriental Institute, a Ph.D. in
linguistics (though unlike myself, specializing in Chinese while my field
was Semitic languages). His method can be simply described as _parallel
texts_, and he had done more or less the same as Mr.Schliemann (the one who
excavated Ilion). A lot of people learned vaious languages while in prison -
simply reading the Bible in the local language (the book frequently being
the only one allowed in cells). I did the same when studying German: too
lazy to pore over handbooks I simply read "Werner Holt" by Noll and compared
the original with the Russian translation.

> Is there a russian TKD? I guess not.

There is not.

> To avoid problems, one could try to publish it through the KLI, who is a
> licensed user of the language.

The publishing house which was interested is located in St.Pete, but the KLI
will certainly be notified officially.

[email protected] <[email protected]>:

>Is the book in English or Russian?  How can I get a copy?
>
>stevo

In Russian. I will be happy to provide copies when (and if) it gets printed.

Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
KLI Director:

>Ihave no doubt that you should immediately get in touch with the General
Consul's
 office at Viacom...

Thanks. No doubt it will be highly desirable in due time, Insh' Allah, Allah
willing, at some moment in November-December, when the manuscript is
finished.

>It would also help to expedite things if you could put me in contact with
Mr.
>Yakhontov himself, as well as his publisher.

Ditto

>Another potential problem though is that your author has violated the
copyright of
>the KLI's translation of HAMLET as well. It's hard to be sure, not knowing
more
>about how he used the book to produce his own work.

Er? Pardon me? Suppose I took a (certainly!) copyrighted modern English
book, say, by Tom Clancy, and deduced English grammar from it. It _is_
possible, after all. Lots of scholar do the same while "rewriting" Akkadian
cuneiform texts into cards - for new words and grammar rules. I know that.

Thanks again.

Igor

Back to archive top level