tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 23 11:37:01 2004

Re: Gray area

Raik Lorenz ([email protected])

What would be the case if i wrote a short story or an other work of fiction,
that does not have the StarTrek(TM,(R),(C)) universe as a setting?
If, for instance I wrote some fairy tale playing in modern America where
some mystical whatsit monsters had the power to cause fiction and reality to
disperse and conflate, so Klingons could actually be met in everyday life?
[This is just an example. If someone now decides to write that story, he can
have the idea for free, yes: Herewith, I waive this copyright! ;-)  ]

I would just use INTERTEXTUALITY, wouldn't I, if I tore Klingons out of
their FICTIONAL universe just for purposes of
A) fictionality,
B) threatening physical appearance (for fearsome children, at least };)  )
and
C) anthropomorphicality?

And AFAIK, intertextuality is still no copyright breach!
(BTW: To have the same effects, I might use Uruk-Hai from LotR. Are they
"protected" by copyright? Are Orcs? Are Dwarves [please correct me if I
misspelled them, there's some special point in spelling Tolkien-Dwarves /
-Dwarfs: I actually forgot which one's the Tolkienian Plural...]?).
How about - also just BTW - Salman Rushdie's short story "Chekov and Sulu"?
This is most certainly not a copyright breach, despite names of actual Star
Trek figures are used, despite being - and that's the main point I'm trying
to make - DECONSTEXTUALISED.

SMFN,
qIno'rIq

--
+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Back to archive top level