tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 22 15:33:24 2004

Re: QID

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:57:16 -0400 hat ngabwI'
<[email protected]> geschrieben:

>> tlhInganpu' Hol Daqel!  yIloy!

bIlugh, jIyaj.
I like the difference you make using the -pu' suffix:
not just "Klingon language" but "language of the klingons"

> In this case, Quvar was probably asking about canon information we had.

Yes, and by the way, we do have a word for injure, so why is there a word
"wound"? Huh? ;-)

> time.) Your advice was good, in this case, but it does not work

Yes, it was good.
I didn't think much when I asked. I just gave all possible ways to
understand it, because I'm translating into german and I don't want to
oversee something. And as we have a word for injure, I was confused with
the verb wound. In english, some verbs can have two meanings, while in
German we might get two different words, or even more.

In this case, "wound" and "injure" are both translated "verletzen", so the
user of my dictionary might be confused, and doesn't know which to use.
[Many people would take rIQmoH, just because they know "injure" better than
"wound", in english] And there are many cases like this, for instance how
would I distinguish {vu'} and {loH} which both come out as "verwalten"?

There are some words that I just left untranslated.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level