tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 19 08:56:46 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: qI' (v)

In a message dated 2004-09-19 11:47:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > Klingon word:   qI'
> > Part of Speech: verb
> > Definition:     sign
> >
> > Additional Notes:
> > Refers to signing a treaty.
>
> Probably not only a treaty. I guess this addition was made to make clear
> that this word is a verb "to sign", meaning "making a signature on some
> paper", and not a verb meaning "make a sign" or "place a sign".
>
> Quvar

There was a discussion about this word a few months ago.  It is possible that
treaties were used in the definition merely as an example of the kind of
signing, but it may also be literally true that the word is used only when signing
treaties and not for signing other kinds of documents.  Whether it is
strictly for signing treaties or has broader applicability is unknown (a la SuStel),
although my impression is that the latter (i.e., signing any kind of document)
is how most people actually use it.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level