tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 16 07:53:22 2004

Re: lo' law'

Quvar wrote:
>1.  I have a note here which I don't understand. Maybe one can help me?
>lo' law' n. utility (preceeds noun it modifies)
>
>a) what does it mean?

{lo' law'} = "many uses".  Think of it as the equivalent of English
"multi-purpose".

>b) how do I use that?

It comes from the BOP poster:

   cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
   2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck

  "... there is a many-use(s) half deck under the cargo deck"
  "... a many-use(s) half deck is found under the cargo deck"

>2.  Do we have any canon for {moS} "compromise"?

Sorry; no known canon.  But I would view it together with {Sutlh}
"negotiate" and {ghar} "conduct diplomacy".

>3.  Who can tell me what the german word is for {qIbHeS} "galactic rim"?

Since {HeS} is "crime", {qIbHeS} may have been a typo for *{qIbHeH}
"galactic edge/rim".  Cf. SkyBox DS99:

   loS... qIb HeHDaq
   It waits... on the edge of the galaxy

>It's certainly not in Webster's or Longman's dictionary,

Probably because it exists only in the Trek universe?

I don't know why {qIbHeS} is listed in TKD.  If it's in the Addendum (which
contains words from ST5 and St6), it may have been the energy shield which
was re-named The Great Barrier {veH tIn} which surrounded the planet
{QI'tu'} at the center of our galaxy:

   'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'.
   But Captain, that course will take *us* into the [Great] Barrier as
well. ST5

The writers may have been confused as to where it was or mis-communicated
it to Okrand for translation.  {veH} "boundary, frontier" may be another
variant of {HeH} "edge, rim".

>but perhaps one knows it from the tv show.

In TOS "Where No Man Has Gone Before" the Enterprise locates a message buoy
from Valiant near the energy barrier at the galactic rim.

In TOS "By Any Other Name" the Enterprise is seized by an advance party
from the Kelvan Empire of the Andromeda Galaxy and passes through the
energy barrier at the galactic rim.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons