tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 16 05:33:11 2004

Re: just use it! (Re: jIb

In a message dated 2004-09-15 4:33:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I believe you're better at this than you think you are.

I'm getting better at vocabulary, and I know the grammar pretty well, but
it's not internalized yet.  I fumble a lot before I'm finished.  Internalization
takes lots of practice, especially in speaking and listening (i.e.
conversation).  These are the two areas where I do NOT get much practice, even though I
talk to myself in Klingon (I have lots of time alone) and read aloud.

> But you're not "reinventing the wheel". You're building your own.

If this were true, I wouldn't mind.  The problem is that too often I do NOT
find a way to express what I want.  I would rather see what other people have
done to solve the problem than start from scratch all the time.

> > in the process wasting a lot of time.
>
> Apologies. I wasn't aware time was a concern. But what's the rush? There's
> no "finish line" here, and I don't get the sense that anyone's competing w/
> each other. I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to speed up this
> process, and I'm not asking you to air them here. But if I can help in any
> way w/ speeding up your learning, let me know. I'll see what I can do.

By wasting time, I meant spending a lot of time in the attempt to find or
invent a way to say what I want, and not getting a result.  The emphasis is on
'waste', not 'time'.  All it does is reinforce a dead end, which is pointless.
I have no timeline; I'm in no hurry.  Learning Klingon will take as long as it
takes.  But spending an hour with nothing to show for it is a waste.

> Because all the noncanon usage in the world doesn't matter one whit if you
> want to find out how to use the language. If you wish to find how the
> language is used, then noncanon is the way to go.

Hunh?  I repeat: Hunh?

> exist to "standardize" Klingon. We don't even *want*
> to do that. If several
> people arrive at the same place while trying to express an idea, so be it.

I understand and accept this.  If there are several routes to the same
destination, that's great.  What's not great is when there seems to be NO way to get
to the destination.  That's when a map by other explorers comes in handy.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level