tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 01 10:28:14 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: leSpal (n)

> >   Finally, a fourth type of instrument is one with strings, a
> >   {HurDagh} ... The word {HurDagh} refers to any of these stringed
> >   instruments, of which there are several different types, the most
> >   commonly found being the relatively small {Supghew}. The midsize
> >   {leSpal} is fairly widely used, while the large {tIngDagh} is
> >   rarely heard except in conjunction with the performance of an
> >   opera." (KGT 76)

Voragh:
> > Any musicians out there recognize puns for the other two instrument
> > words: {HurDagh} and {tIngDagh}?  Interestingly, they both end in
> > {-Dagh} which can't be a coincidence.

Russ Perry:
>Are {Dagh} or {-Dagh} any known Klingon words/affixes?

No, they're not.  {Dagh} shows up in:

{bo'Dagh}  scoop, scooping implement (to serve food) (n.)

{nevDagh}  type of pot with handles (used for food preparation) (n.)

{Daghtuj}  mixture of animal parts (served as food) (n.) [PUN: "hot {tuj}
dog {Dagh}"]

>For that matter, what of {tIng}?

{tIng}  area southwestward, area towards the southwest (n.)

You didn't ask, but {Hur} is "[area?] outside" (n.).

>I don't see any puns there, but I'm still trying to think of what
>the {tIngDagh} would be -- at first I was thinking it was a bass or
>cello (violin family, though it mentions nothing about bowing the
>strings in the KGT piece above), maybe a bass guitar (though I'm not
>sure that would be used only mostly in operas).  However, I'm
>beginning to think that possibly the {tIngDagh} is a harp.  Are
>there any famous harpists named Ting?  :-)

Any ideas, musicians?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons