tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 01 10:02:13 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: leSpal (n)

Russ Perry Jr ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

At 10:28 AM -0500 8/31/04, Steven Boozer wrote:
>> > Klingon word:      leSpal
>> > Part of Speech:    noun
>> > Definition:        type of stringed instrument
>
>   Finally, a fourth type of instrument is one with strings, a
>   {HurDagh} ... The word {HurDagh} refers to any of these stringed
>   instruments, of which there are several different types, the most
>   commonly found being the relatively small {Supghew}. The midsize
>   {leSpal} is fairly widely used, while the large {tIngDagh} is
>   rarely heard except in conjunction with the performance of an
>   opera." (KGT 76)
[...]
> Any musicians out there recognize puns for the other two instrument
> words: {HurDagh} and {tIngDagh}?  Interestingly, they both end in
> {-Dagh} which can't be a coincidence.

Are {Dagh} or {-Dagh} any known Klingon words/affixes?  They're not
in TKD...  For that matter, what of {tIng}?

I don't see any puns there, but I'm still trying to think of what
the {tIngDagh} would be -- at first I was thinking it was a bass or
cello (violin family, though it mentions nothing about bowing the
strings in the KGT piece above), maybe a bass guitar (though I'm not
sure that would be used only mostly in operas).  However, I'm
beginning to think that possibly the {tIngDagh} is a harp.  Are
there any famous harpists named Ting?  :-)
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729   [email protected] [NEW!]   VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||