tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 15 11:34:19 2004

Re: lalDan mu'tlhegh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ngabwI':
> >  {cha'SaD ben, tera'Daq, QIStoS lalDan cher yeSuS QIStoS.
> >  DaH, QIStoS lalDan noy law', Hoch noy puS}
> >
> >  "Two thousand years ago, on Earth, Jesus Christ established the
> >  Christian religion. It is now the most famous religion of all."
> >
> >I would also suggest using {cher} "to establish", rather than {chenmoH},
> >which, for me at least, suggests the creation of something tangible, like
> >a house, or a bookshelf (just examples, not comparing Christianity to a
> >bookshelf.)

Or a specific church - i.e. a specific group of people in a specific
location/building.

ghunchu'wI':
>jIQoch.  ghaHmo' chen, 'ach cherbe' ghaH'e'.

He didn't?  How about "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my
Church." (Matthew 16:18)  Jesus of Nazareth selected the initial cadres of
his movement and, if you believe the New Testament story, gave them further
operational instructions post mortem.

>cher pabwI'pu'Daj.  <chenmoH> pup law' <cher> pup puS.

Based on the few examples we have {chenmoH} "build, form, make, create" is,
as ngabwI' pointed out, used for more tangible things:

   tIjwI'ghom vIchenmoH
   I form a boarding party. TKD

   batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu' S8
   this sword of honor was created [forged?]

   qul chenmoH
   set (a) fire PK

   toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq
   Bird-of-Prey construction site  KBoP

{cher} seems to be used for more abstract things:

   ngoch luchermeH
   determine policy S25

   boq lucherDI'
   form an alliance S33

and appears on the KLI's website:

   qaStaHvIS DIS 1992, tlhIngan Hol yejHaD cherlu', 'ej DaH Qu'Daj ta'taH.
   In operation since 1992, the Klingon Language Institute continues its
mission...

It seems to me WRT to religious and political ideologies, you can also use
the verb {'ogh} "invent, devise".

YMMV.

--
Voragh