tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 14 09:37:49 2004

Re: lalDan mu'tlhegh

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 8:27 AM
Subject: lalDan mu'tlhegh

> wIqIpe'DIya vIlaDtaHvIS mu'tlheghvam Daj vItu':
> cha' SaD ben; tera'Daq lalDan noy law' Hoch noy puS 'oH QIStoS lalDan'e',
> chenmoHta'bogh yeSuS QIStoS.
>
> pab'a' 'oH?  vIHon.

vIHon je.
This is another example of the difficulties of expressing a superlative
outside the context of a simple statement.

> qaq'a':
> cha' SaD ben tera'Daq QIStoS lalDan'e' chenmoHta'bogh yeSuS QIStoS noy
> law'
> Hoch tera' lalDan noy puS.
> [The Christian religion, which Jesus Christ created on Earth two thousand
> years ago, is the most famous Earth religion.]

I'm not sure the {Hoch tera' lalDan} is necessary: I would leave off the
{tera' lalDan} bit.

And while your sentence is apparently grammatical, I would suggest, as a
style thing, breaking it up into two separate sentences, so it will parse a
little easier. Your wording, at first pass, sounds like it was the most
popular 2000 years ago.

I would also suggest using {cher} "to establish", rather than {chenmoH},
which, for me at least, suggests the creation of something tangible, like a
house, or a bookshelf (just examples, not comparing Christianity to a
bookshelf.)

Addition of the word {DaH} "now" also would bring the time reference of the
superlative to the present.

My suggestion:
{cha'SaD ben, tera'Daq, QIStoS lalDan cher yeSuS QIStoS. DaH, QIStoS lalDan
noy law', Hoch noy puS}

"Two thousand years ago, on Earth, Jesus Christ established the Christian
religion. It is now the most famous religion of all."

And that's my two cents worth.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute