tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 26 18:54:14 2004

Re: core semantic case roles: agent, patient, focus

In a message dated 2004-05-26 2:23:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Okrand is here *defining* the terms "subject" and "object."  Surely, when a
> careful linguist like Okrand defines terms, he does so correctly.  When he
> says "action," he must *mean* "action," right?

To define an object he has to use an action verb.  Quality verbs don't take
objects.

Okrand wrote TKD for the lay public.  His works are full of errors.  The
terminology is often imprecise.  He has NOT been a 'careful linguist'.

Every time he says "action" or "activity" he means verb, yes, but he was not
being accurate, because there are at least two kinds of verbs in Klingon.
Just look at all the examples you yourself gave.  He simply overgeneralized his
statements about verbs.  We already know that we have to take canon with a
grain of salt, at least *I* do.  This is another (big) instance where this is true.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level