tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 26 04:31:42 2004

Re: Possessive style

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 12:39 AM
Subject: Possessive style

> I have a stylistic question.  Should one use the possessive when the
> possession is obvious?

We don't really have a "style manual", as I'm sure you're aware. }}: )

> In English, good style always requires the possessive...
> "He takes his coat." vs. "He takes the coat."
> "He opens his mouth." vs. "He opens the mouth."
>
> In Spanish, good style rejects the possessive if the possession is
> obviously...
> "El trae el abrigo." vs. "El trae su abrigo."
> "El abre la boca." vs. "El abre su boca."
>
> How about in Klingon?  I have assumed that since most Klingon speakers
> are native English speakers the common style would be to always include
> the possessive.  However, efficiency would encourage Klingon speakers to
> drop the extra suffix when the possession is obvious.  What is your
> opinion?
>
> Jeremy

Using the coat example, in Klingon these would be:
{wep tlhap} "He takes the coat"
{wepDaj thlap} "He takes is coat"

Everybody's probably sick of hearing this, but context needs to guide this
usage.
Ex:
{QongDaqDaq 'oHtaH wepDaj'e'. wep tlhap, 'ej tlheD}
"His coat was on the bed. He took the coat and left."

The omission of the {-Daj} from the second {wep}doesn't detract from the
intended meaning.

OTOH:
{QongDaqDaq bIHtaH wep'e'. wep tlhap, 'ej tlheD}

Makes it sound, to me, as though a theft has happened.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/