tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 25 21:40:42 2004

Possessive style

Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan ([email protected])

I have a stylistic question.  Should one use the possessive when the
possession is obvious?

In English, good style always requires the possessive...
"He takes his coat." vs. "He takes the coat."
"He opens his mouth." vs. "He opens the mouth."

In Spanish, good style rejects the possessive if the possession is
obviously...
"El trae el abrigo." vs. "El trae su abrigo."
"El abre la boca." vs. "El abre su boca."

How about in Klingon?  I have assumed that since most Klingon speakers
are native English speakers the common style would be to always include
the possessive.  However, efficiency would encourage Klingon speakers to
drop the extra suffix when the possession is obvious.  What is your
opinion?

Jeremy

Back to archive top level