tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 25 15:38:47 2004

Re: action verbs vs. qualities

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>>As I read this, {-lI'} can only be used with action verbs, not qualities
>>>(a.k.a. stative verbs).

Voragh:
>An action has a beginning and an end point, it can be completed or
>not.  Qualities are simply present or not (though they can have varying
>degrees of intensity).  It's the difference between doing and being, action
>and state.

wotvaD mojaq chellaH vay', vaj <action> moj.  yIqel: <tujchoHlI' QuQ>.
tujpa' chaq bIr.  rInbej: tujchoHta'DI' tuj.  ngoQ ghajlaH: chaq
Duj vIQaw'meH QuQ vItujqu'choHmoH.

<tujchoHlI' QuQ>
"the engine is becoming hot (for some purpose)"

--
De'vID

STOP MORE SPAM with the MSN Premium and get 2 months FREE*